Changes to Iowa's waterfowl, deer and furbearer seasons were approved during the April 12 meeting of the Natural Resource Commission of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
The season proposals will be available for public comment before a public hearing May 23.
Approved changes to the waterfowl regulations include a three-zone, two-season split with the Missouri River zone as the new third zone, and reduced Canada goose zone boundaries in some areas.
Changes to the resident deer hunting seasons this fall include reducing the county antlerless quotas by 13,000 in 20 counties, eliminating the November antlerless deer season, and shortening the January antlerless season by one week.
Approved changes to furbearer regulations include increasing the bobcat quota from 350 to 450 and river otter quota from 650 to 850.
• Trout Unlimited meeting, 7:30 p.m., Chalco Hills Recreation Area.
• Start of Missouri River Educational Lecture Series, Ponca SP, 402-755-2284
• Cornhusker Fly Fishers fly-tying workshop, 6 to 8 p.m., Cabela's, La Vista.
• Arbor Day, all Game and Parks offices closed
• Families on Target archery program, Air Park Recreation Center, Lincoln, 402-441-7876
• Lake Wanahoo State Recreation Area opens to the public
• Weekend wildlife film, beavers, DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge. Saturday and Sunday at noon, 1:30 p.m. and 2:45 p.m.
• Outsider's hike, 9 a.m., Hitchcock Nature Center. Meet at Backwoods at 8 a.m. to car pool. Call 402-345-0321 for information.
Submit calendar items or trophy pictures to email@example.com or Outdoors Sports, World-Herald Sports Dept., 1314 Douglas St., Suite 700, Omaha, NE 68102. A daytime or cellphone number must be included with trophy pictures.