LINCOLN — Just because the spring letter-of-intent period ended eight days ago, don't assume the Nebraska men's basketball staff is done combing the globe for players for the coming season.
Tim Miles and his assistants met Wednesday to discuss five new potential recruits. Preliminary research and background checking eliminated three of the five.
“But we're going to recruit as actively and aggressively as we can until they don't let us recruit anymore for the '12 class,” Miles said. “On a weekly basis, we will continue to cultivate and see if there are any changes in the landscape out there.”
Change is everywhere in college basketball this offseason.
According to a list compiled by cbssports.com, more than 400 Division I players intend to transfer.
The high-volume transfer list is something Husker coaches watch regularly.
Nebraska recently lost out on a Division I transfer, Miles said. That player is believed to have been 6-foot-7 shooting guard Alex Dragicevich from Notre Dame. The Chicagoan with two seasons to play has since committed to Boston College.
That miss won't stop Nebraska from trying again.
“There probably will be another Division I transfer we bring on campus,'' Miles said.
So far, Nebraska has signed a Division I transfer (wing Terran Petteway from Texas Tech); a junior college transfer (guard Deverell Biggs); and a prep-school foreign player (center Sergej Vucetic).
Two scholarships for 2012-13 remain open now that junior center Christopher Niemann has received a medical hardship. Niemann, who suffered three knee injuries, will stay in school, but won't count against the 13-scholarship limit.
Any new players recruited between now and when school starts in August would sign non-binding financial aid agreements instead of letters of intent.
Contact the writer: