Omaha firefighters battled three house fires on Wednesday, including one in which neighbors alerted the occupants to the blaze.
Two people were inside a home near 168th and Pacific Streets, unaware of a fire sparked on the back deck until neighbors started pounding on their door about 6:20 a.m., said Capt. Tim McCaw, a spokesman for the Fire Department.
The occupants made it out safely, but more than 50 percent of the home was damaged by the flames and smoke, McCaw said.
McCaw said a fire at a home near Happy Hollow Boulevard and Emile Street about 4:50 p.m. was caused by a leaking gas line behind the oven.
The fire caused minor damage to the kitchen wall, McCaw said.
Fire investigators said arson is suspected in a 3 a.m. fire inside a vacant home near 15th Street and Carter Boulevard. McCaw said the structure was estimated to be a complete loss. — Sam Womack